COVID Alert App - Information in ASL
The Government of Canada has released a new COVID Alert app. Silent Voice has gathered information about this app to share with you in ASL so that the information will be accessible to the Deaf community.
Here's what you need to know:
*Downloading this app is voluntary
* The app is used as a tool to help slow the spread of COVID-19
* To download the app, you must have an iPhone or Android phone that is less than 5 years old.
* No personal information will be collected by the app (ex. name, address, location or health information). Your personal information is kept private.
How it works:
* Download the app
* Keep your phone with you when you go out
* The app will create a new random code every 5 minutes
* When you come close to other people who have the app (2 meters or less) for at least 15 minutes, the two phones will share their codes via Bluetooth. (NOTE: codes are deleted after 14 days)
* If a person tests positive for COVID-19, the app will look at all the codes it collected in the last 14 days and send those people a message to let them know they were in close contact with a person who tested positive.
If you are notified you have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, please self-isolate and get tested.
NOTE: Not all providences are using the same app. The government is currently working to ensure that all apps will work with each other.
Please remember to stay socially distanced, wear a mask when you go out, and wash your hands frequently.